Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Elite Crafters Club

While getting ready for work yesterday, I decided to play a game, as I sometimes do with clothing. I might wear a "themed" getup or I could potentially "feel" like a certain person in another outfit. I might even just wear one eccentric accessory that screams "please ask me about this". I've been doing this since high school. One more not-so-important fact is, I will not wear the same thing in the same way twice. And I never forget the way I wore the article or what I matched/accessorized it with.

I've confessed my narcissistic mind games about clothing so here's the story...

After picking out a white peplum top and dark skinny jeans that were cutoff and rolled to mid-calf, I spotted a silly necklace that would be fun. It consisted of a tapered felt strip that hangs just below the neck - choker style - decorated with pale-colored satin flowers. The felt had two pieces of chain on either end to clasp around the back of the neck.

I put this necklace on and decided, this is the craft we will make first. My second thought was, since I don't have a studio yet, I will have to invite crafters to my place, but I have limited space. My mind game rule was this: those that notice and comment on the necklace are "in".

The girl who sits in the front desk is a baker by trade and working on orchestrating classes for breast-feeding and post-natal "family" building dynamics, not just mom and baby but mom and daddy, then baby. She spotted the silly item straight-away. We talked about my hopes to open a studio and her hopes to start her groups. I hinted to "craft-night" and she said she was in.

Two more ladies commented before I hit the break room to grab a cup of coffee. Two, three... As the day went on, I chatted with my "Yang" - the chick I made the snakeskin blazer for - we've been through a lot together. I'll share our Hot-Lanta adventures on another day. I told Yang about the Elite crafters that I'm secretly picking out. She laughed but I was serious. While we joked about it, another woman walked by just then and said, "I really like that necklace". I looked at Yang and quietly mouthed the words, "She's in." Yang knew I was serious. Five, six...

The first rule of the Elite Crafters Club is, we don't talk about Craft Club.

I've counted 7 people so far but I didn't make it all the way around the office. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm out of chairs. Sorry!

No comments: