Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Studio Discussions

I've been asking around - or more like poking - to see if people would be interested in a local crafting studio. The conversations start to flow instantly. "I have a sewing machine in my garage but I don't know how to use it..." and "I started a class at ___ but I didn't stick with it because I didn't know any else doing it." So many people have interesting ideas to offer. I'm taking notes ladies so keep 'em coming. I even ran into one of E's teachers from a few years ago at a local Farmers Market and she was ecstatic about the whole studio idea.

I reached out to my gal A and told her to start gearing up because W gave me the green light. A is my go-to crafting engineer. She is me but in so many different areas than I have dabbled. Her sense of "design" exceeds mine and her ability to research the proper techniques are far superior. A and I have had lengthy discussions about how our craftiness would make us money someday. We are dreamers and both ADHD (we also share a love for coffee) so I have no doubt about the creative synergy we could put into the studio. What's concerning me is that I think we need a balance of craftiness and business. The studio won't last long on prayers. We have to consider prices and putting generosity aside and be sure that the studio is thriving. We will have to consider marketing and paying quarterly taxes. Insurance and what-not. It all sounds great but we also know of the hard work ahead.

Regardless of the "work" our glorified hobby will eventually generate income to survive on it's own. And if it doesn't, I will have so many new handmade crafts/skills to last me a while.

No comments: