Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Little Spurt of Creativity

If you are friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram, then you must have seen a few of my posts over the last couple of days. I've been posting pictures of easy wire wrapping jewelry and last night I designed a shirt. This morning I'll be finishing a snake-print jacket that I started a while back (1 year) for a gal at work. I won't fit me and I cheated when I sewed the pieces together so I am unable to alter it without ruining it. 

All this flow of creativity will probably come to a halt when I go back to work. I finally broke free from the grind mid last week and that's when the creativity started. Actually, one of G's friends texted her on Thursday asking her to see if I could alter her cheer leading skirt because someone already tried and messed it up. She needed it for their first pep-rally on Friday. I was nervous to touch it because I knew it had to be done right but I told her I would take look. This is when the creativity started to flow.

When she brought it that night, I ended up having to take all the first-attempt stitches out because she was right, someone really did a botched job on it. There was one catch to the alteration, it was a rental and we couldn't cut the fabric. This was actually a relief because no matter what I did at this point we would have that as a handicap. Therefore, the expectation of quality was low. I took the skirt "in" on each side about a half inch and curved the seam so that the skirt would "hug". Then instead of trying to hem the skirt to make it shorter, I encouraged her to fold the top band down since her cheer shirt would cover the top 2 inches of skirt. 

She tried the skirt on once I had all the initial stitches in and said, "I actually LOVE IT". First of all, teenage girls are dramatic, but it did look good. I told her mom that G could bring the skirt to school tomorrow so that I could finish up the make-shift seams inside. I wanted to secure all the fabric that we took in now that we had the fit right. They insisted that it was finished and that they imposed on our family enough. I hadn't even thought of this. I was just doing what I love to do! She handed me $25 and thanked me immensely especially since it was such short notice. 

The next day, I made sale number two. I posted a pic of a quick wire wrap ring that I threw together on Facebook and a girlfriend of mine claimed it. She also asked me for another. I met her for lunch on Friday and made the sale. One problem was lunch cost $34 with E and G. I was upside down in the sale but it didn't matter. I actually sold some goods. 

While she and I chatted during lunch I told her that my dream is to open a studio. I do not want to have a store to sell what I make because then the pressure to create would be too great and I wouldn't keep up with it. I want to have a comfy area in my studio for crochet/knitting. Another area for sewing and serging and then yet another for jewelry making. I've contemplated painting and pottery but I think to start the above will suffice. My girlfriend expressed an interest in operating a children's craft-time throughout the week. This gave me another idea. I could "rent out" the studio for a minimal cost to others who want to teach their craft. They could collect on the actual cost of the activity and we all get paid to do what we love. I'm thinking during the day, I could open the studio for walk-ins and members to casually craft and chill. They could use the equipment supplied by the studio and also buy knick-knacks. I can sell a few of my things and other local artists items. Then in the evening, I will host parties/classes. That way the studio can generate income and be used 24-7. 

I'll be looking for space for lease today while I day dream about my studio and finish the jacket I started a year ago. Then it's back to work tomorrow. 

No comments: