Saturday, August 10, 2013

Potty Training Observations... But I'm no Doctor

I had a wonderful idea last night before turning out the lights, as I sometimes do, and it is rather annoying and inconvenient since this sort of thing delays the falling-asleep process. However, it occurred to me that 2 friends of mine subtly (that's a weird word) asked for advise on potty training recently. They both have 3 year old boys and are struggling to motivate their children to take the initiative. One of the moms mentioned she even bought undies in England on a business trip that were AWESOME and that Europe has the best underwear. A light bulb flipped on last night when I realized that I could make AWESOME underwear too! Why not?! I love to sew, especially small projects, and I am a huge advocate for early potty training. This statement is a great 'Segway' into this mornings findings while researching patterns and what makes European panties so AWESOME.

I came across an article of interest. This article was plugged on a huge parenting website with a really big marketing name but I will not use this brand to get exposure. It lead me to the site of the published book with comments and opinions of a urologist suggesting that early potty training is dangerous. I did not disagree with all the content within the article and I actually found the theories within the article  enlightening. While the supporting information posted on the book's website were spot on when considering this Doctor's theory, I did not find any correlation and scientifically proven case studies that convinced me in anyway that early potty training is "dangerous".

I am a mother of three girls biologically and one man-child (not mine biologically) so I believe I have some credibility when voicing my opinion on potty training and all three of my biological children were completely independent when it came to recognizing their bodily functions by 26 months of age. Furthermore, E was sitting on the child sized potty as soon as she could walk which was around 9 months. This was completely experimental for me after I purchased a small inspiring book from a used book store for a dollar on early potty training. None of my children experienced UTI's or other dysfunctions as the article I read this morning suggests to be high risk among early trainers. The article also suggests that disposable diapers are a better solution to avoiding bathroom dysfunctions because a toddler is apt to "holding" their excrement because they are busy beings or are too afraid/shy to ask for help while in school/daycare. Keep in mind that what you are reading is strictly my opinion when I suggest that even if a child is pushed into toilet training or they demonstrate motivation on their own at any age, they MUST be monitored! My children could not complete all the tasks correctly as toddlers or preschoolers when taking a trip to the restroom. It is extremely important for a parent to be conscious of their child's functions whether it is timing their urges, taking note of their last trip to the bathroom or helping with hygiene. If a child is in school it is extremely important to ask the caregivers about the child. If the caregiver does not have detailed information then they may not be paying attention. Suggesting that parents keep their children in chemically infuse plastic wrappings (disposable diapers), is enabling parents and caregivers to not pay attention. It is dismissing responsible adults from the responsibility of teaching their child proper bathroom habits. Even if a child does not catch on quickly when beginning toilet training, a parent is not dismissed from the responsibly of persistence and consistency. Just because a toddler knows how to feed himself, a responsible parent will not allow them to monitor their own diets or more realistically, their hunger/thirst urges. Today, I'm sure to tell all my children when it is time to eat, drink, and snack even though they are well past "training". Alarmingly enough, the article talked a lot about constipation and the root reason being a child's delay to address their urges but it did not mention one iota of information on proper diet and whether the children in the case studies consumed vegetables/fruits with fiber, plenty of water etc. Constipation and diet are directly correlated last time I checked with all doctors.

I am a firm believer in consistency even if it is inconvenient. Teaching a child to not give up after an accident is setting a great foundation for independence and confidence. Which is why I feel stronger about early potty training after reading this mornings article. I think cloth diapers are a useful tool for early potty training and provide toddlers motivation to taking the next steps of recognizing their urges. Underpants are a useful tool in conditioning a child of any age to respond to their bodily functions as apposed to ignoring them while disposable diapers whisk moisture away and enable parents to avoid necessary attention to fundamentals. I think making AWESOME underwear will support my beliefs on the potty training topic and encourage the process of potty training consistency by making it fun for parents too. My first prototypes will consist of several sizes and not starting at 3T/4T like most major underwear manufacturers. E was so tiny at 1 year, and still is, that we could not find underwear in her size for running around the house during her early potty training days. I plan to address this issue for encouraged parents and motivated children when taking early potty training head on. I mean no disrespect to my two friends when voicing my opinions and I think the only advice I have to offer them at this point is to be consistent and don't be afraid to clean up a mess.

As with other bright ideas I have just before bed, I tend to start out full-steam but my excuses of raising 4 kids and working 50 hours a week usually get the better of me. Please feel free to inquire about my progress on the topic as a weird form of guilt/support.

No comments: