Thursday, August 22, 2013

Deathly Lunch Hour

Yesterday I almost died 3 times during my hour lunch break. I went home to eat, as I do frequently. Its a 10 minute drive. As I heading back to work, I found G walking home from school and I asked her if she wanted to drive herself to the house. She had to take the long way around the block because turning around would have been too difficult. During the 3 block distance she almost clipped a neighbor bringing in his garbage can, sat at a dead stop at a 4 way stop intersection while 9 people went through, and lastly, took a left hand turn onto our street at 25 miles per hour. My heart was in my throat! I was so scared and all she could say was, "What?"

Near death experience #2 happened a few minutes later while I was discussing #1 on the phone with W and safely in control behind the wheel on my way back to work. A rescue truck nearly slammed into me rushing into backed-up traffic because there happened to be lane closure up ahead. I was forced to get into the closed lane and pull off the street into a Circle K. Now there was no way to get back into traffic! I had to abruptly hang up on W so now he thinks I've wrecked or something and my lunch hour has turned into 1 hr and 45 min.

#1 wasn't nearly as exciting but it could easily cause heart failure or aggressive behavior which was what I was just getting into on the phone with W and how frustrated I was about it and then G scared me so bad.

I received a phone call from a girl at the orthodontist earlier in the lunch hour and she proceeded to tell me that I was responsible for the $1000 that the insurance co. promised to pay on both kids treatments and that they would just tack it on to the end of the payments of G's account. For some reason the insurance co. made me pay their portion to the orthodontist at the time of the down payment and then they promised reimbursement. Now wait a second. Why am I paying for an extra dental package that "includes" orthodontics if they will not pay on a claim? She said the Ins. Co. told her that I changed my plan as of 7/1/2013 to include a 12 month waiting period. Meaning they won't pay for orthodontics until I've had my plan for over a year. I have 2 kids in braces. Why would I "change my plan" to include this. I called the customer service line and the dude told me that if didn't have the plan last year then I would be subject to a 12 month waiting period. I explained that I have two kids in treatment and the estimates were approved before the 7/1/2013 "change". THEY ALREADY APPROVED B's CLAIM. They wrote 2 checks to me.

I actually am the only person who wasn't on the plan last year because the broker forgot to sign me up and all year long I paid for the dental plan. I obviously didn't try to use the plan until late in the year because the dentist I wanted to go to did not accept the insurance therefore I bought a separate discounted plan. I tried to use the co. group insurance (discount plan not insurance) in October of last year when E hurt herself at school and needed stitches in her lip and her teeth were turning gray. That's when I discovered I didn't have coverage. My boss refunded me the entire years dollars spent but I didn't have coverage. The 12 month waiting period did not apply to our group coverage when the company changed plans in 1/1/2013 but it does apply to me! I read through my policy and all I could find was "may be subject to 12 month waiting period".

I'm so sick about this whole thing. Dealing with insurance is the worst. It causes more pain and anguish than anything else. I would have rather been responsible for the extra $2 k up front then be promised and denied. I probably would have edged around discounts for paying cash or shopped around a little longer to find cheaper treatment or Groupons or something!

No comments: