Friday, August 30, 2013

High School Anxiety

G had open house at school last night. We visited each one of her classes for about 8 min each. Then then bell would ring to move on to the next period. I followed her to the next class, took notes, moved on to the next and the next and finally I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't figure out which side of the campus we were on. The end of the 6th period finished by 8:10 pm - Marketing Essentials. When we left the classroom, it was as if the set of double doors to the left of the hall of dumped us out into the parking lot like a water slide at a water park with twists and turns inside that small tunnel - moving at light speeds. It was such a relief to get my bearings. I actually thought we were on the 2nd floor. It was scary to reminisce about high school and when I attended that campus. It's really changed since then of course.  

I have to give G a lot of credit. She seems to have a handle on things. She likes a couple of her teachers a lot and one of them happens to be teaching her most challenging course of Algebra II. I would like to get involved in her theater and marketing class because it seems as though those two courses will offer extra curricular activities and participation if she wants it. I think it would be good if she were involved in some sort of school activity. We'll see.

The moral of the story is, I juggle many tasks at work and at home daily. The difference between that and going back to high school is that I can dictate some of those tasks to others.  It doesn't matter how they get completed as long as they are completed. Managing and completing a set of tasks for 6 high school classes and any extra curricular activities - when you are the only person allowed to accomplish them - seems isolating and overwhelming. I will try to help her alleviate these feelings - if she shares them - by attempting to help her manage the tasks but I'm not great at that either so I don't know if I can provide any assistance at all. We shall see.

No comments: