Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Barn

I spontaneously decided to go out with friends last night to a joint called "The Barn". A real classy place. I arrived a bit earlier than my friends and apparently this is too early according to most "Barners". There were people there having a dancing class. 2 step to be more precise. This was cool to watch. I envy those that have confidence to dance with strangers in a group setting.

Anyway, 20 min. of this and I see 2 of my friends at the bar. One of them was celebrating her Birthday so she was planning for several people she knew, and I didn't know, to show up. I bought them each a beer and myself a club soda with lime (my fave). We spent a few minutes catching up until the dancing class was over and the clubs music started. A couple more friends arrived and things were good for a bit. An hour to be exact.

After about an hour, the Birthday girl starts with the shots. Everyone in her group is catching wind of this generous Birthday offer and proceeds to get her more shots. I was pretty sure things were about to get ugly.

Before they do, I would like to describe the atmosphere at the "Barn". You know, from my perspective...

Old, young, middle-aged (like me), married, single, really old and the crew. Country-western bars are fun because people will just start dancing where ever they are or RUN out to the dance floor to join the line. Now I don't dance. I do not have the confidence. I used to but I lost it somewhere.

Anyway, one dude, probably my age, was clearly a dancing fool.  I noticed he was in the dance class from earlier and was happily twirling around the dance floor with women 3 times his age. He was very tall and fit but he was not choosy when it came to asking a girl to dance once the club started jamming. All kinds of girls tall, short, heavy, thin, heels, sneakers, dresses, jeans, young, old, it didn't matter. It was hilarious to watch him lead the these women around the dance floor in a 2 step as they ALL clambered to just stay up on their feet. I thought the women in stilettos was truly going to break her ankle.

So after 30 mins of watching this he comes over to our table - points at me - and says, "Alright, you. Let's go." I was shocked. He was drill-sergeant demanding. I came to and politely said no thanks and he grabbed one of the other girls at our table.  LOL, that's never happened to me before.

One other sight I wanted to point out was the elderly. There were many 75+ers. They were there because they too were dancin' fools. Line dancing and two-steppin' away. A couple had obvious bad hips but they were working through it. Its only one night a week and you YOLO. I'd never seen anything like that before either. Two "firsts" seemed like a successful night.

Then there was my Birthday Girl. Starting to slur and bouncing around the table trying to entice her friends to mingle by re-introducing us and pointing out things we had in common. I was content the way things were but now we were at the two hour mark and things were going down and it was my time to bow out gracefully.

I had a good time and I'm glad I went but I love staying at home with my family soooo much better.

No comments: