Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I can't stop thinking about a studio

I'm stuck in a mode between reality and possibility. On one hand it sound perfectly logical to open a studio. It will generate income with a little love and a lot of planning. On the other hand, the business side of this idea scares me to death. Investing, risk, marketing, demographics, time and lots of time.

I found a gal on Craigslist.com who is looking to lease a booth in her resale store. I've been contemplating how it would look and where my craft tables would go. I don't know if the owner of the store understands the scope of the business I want to conduct. It will be noisy sometimes and chatty. I've only corresponded with her by email so far but I think I will pop in there at lunchtime to assess. I think it may even be too far from the trendy parts of town and colleges. Setting something up near those areas would be ideal.

I've been looking at web sites for crafting booths/studios where casual crafts can be conducted and sales but I haven't found any yet. I'm trying to visualize an area that would be big enough to have a couple of tables for crafting sessions and another area for displaying mine and others art/crafts for sale. Displaying arts/crafts in a booth at someone else's store would need a full time attendant but just hosting craft sessions seems incomplete. Since I cannot quit my day job then I will need A) another person or B) lease my own building and have my own hours. Option B is obviously the option with more risk and option A means having to pay someone or partnering with someone (yuck).

I have plenty of time to keep brainstorming this business venture. Any ideas of functioning studios like what I've described would be helpful. I haven't exactly found a shop in my area yet like what I want to conduct which is good but it is also harder to muster up the guts to jump into something that I've never actually seen in action. Leave your ideas in the comments of this blog if you want to help.

No comments: