Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tonight's Faux Leather Skirt Project

I have an antique dresser that holds my fabric and scraps in my dinning room which is just around the corner from my craft area. I've recently made a connection with the newest trends and a lump of fabric I come across every time I dig through those drawers that hold my most precious possessions. I have to first take you back several years to illustrate the sentimental value.

It was the year 1998 and I was pregnant with G. I was driving a gifted station wagon without a muffler that was so loud and I was ready for my own car. G's dad and grandpa were building dune buggy's at the time in our garage so VW's were their thing. It only seemed right for us to purchase a 1973 super beetle together as our family car. And that's what we did. We found a woman who just wanted us to take the white Bug off her hands and she would gladly take $250 for it. We towed it home and replaced the battery. It would start but it wouldn't stay running. It turned out to be a clogged gas line which is a common problem with older cars. The problem would only cost us an additional $150 to repair but we didn't have it so G's dad bi-passed the fuel line to run directly into a 5 gallon gas tank. We were driving that thing around in style. 

The previous owner began restoring the car by starting with the interior. The back seat was removed and in it's place was a wooden box covered with black and blue auto carpeting. They installed a cooler into the box that was a secret compartment because someone needed to carry their insulin around everywhere they went. I would put G's bottles of milk in there. 

Anyway, I wanted to continue the restore so I bought $30 in black vinyl and took off the door panels to cover them. It looked really good in my opinion but I realized quickly that I had bought way too much vinyl. 

I see that lump of vinyl down in the bottom of my fabric dresser all the time thinking someday I'll cover something else with that. Yesterday, though, my thought was to cover me with it! I'm going to start a faux-leather skirt tonight. Leather is big this fall and I love working with different mediums so WHY NOT. I might even find a VW Beetle patch to stick on it...

No comments: