Friday, November 15, 2013

New Camera

I finally have a digital SLR camera. I've coveted one for years. I happened on one yesterday while browsing Craigslist for $100. Of course, I don't meet up with Craigslisters if I don't have to. My husband does this deed for me. 

Its an older model: Olympus Evolt E-410. No manual though but a couple of lenses and super flash. Several reviews say that although it is intended for newbies, the "Auto" functions and controls are not exactly up to snuff but with a little manual manipulation the Olympus quality can be achieved.

Actually, I've wanted another Olympus for many many years. My first digital camera was an Olympus that I spent hours researching online and waited for the right moment for it to go on sale. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and I bought one the remaining models. Anyway, point and shoot was all I did and the images were astounding (to me). The lens was crisp, the flash was spot on and it was very easy to navigate. That was 2002 or so. The camera was stolen and I just wasn't able to replace it with anything that came close to the happiness it brought me. 

Then there was a Nikon in there somewhere, where the flash made everyone look waxy and a Kodak that must have absorbed some moisture inside because it stopped working after one Halloween night when we took it trick-or-treating and it was drizzling out. I tried contacting Kodak but I was 2 months out of warranty and they did not authorize dealers so my only option was to ship it to Kadak with $40 for a diagnosis. Then pay what it would cost to repair it or they generously offered me 10% off another unit. No thanks. The $40 was more than 10% of another purchase! That was a shame to because I really liked the auto focus and shutter. They seemed to be snappy. That's when I bought a $30 Canon from the pawn shop and started using my phone eventually because of convenience.

I have high hopes for my little Olympus. Her sole purpose in life is to record my crafts for my website. If I get family memories out of her then I will consider it a plus. Wish me luck!

No comments: