Friday, November 8, 2013

Hello Fall Hello Faux

Our pool sits under a HUGE oak tree and a screen enclosure to protect it from the tree's debris. Oak is undoubtedly big with branches that stretch from one yard to another providing endless shade from the hot Florida sun. It also provides a lovely dense species of wood but the living tree is messy. Without a screen enclosure around the pool we would spend countless hours pulling out the small leaves, acorns and pollen. The downside is that the pool is 15 degrees cooler year round then one would expect it to be. 

This summer has come and gone we have gotten very little use of the expensive amenity. The temperature of the pool has been below 75 degrees since August and no one has dared to get in because it resides in the shade without a singel warm sun ray to heat your body when you are not submerged. The last week or two has brought the water down into the 60's so I know there is no chance of swimming until the spring.

That means Fall is officially here in the Sunshine State and as promised I spent 1 hour sewing my Fall faux leather skirt last night. Once I pulled out the vinyl for its official use immediately after dinner, I realized that the last ten years have played a very important part in its demise. The folds of the vinyl have permanent creases and it smelled kinda like mildew. I wiped it down with a Lysol wipe and tried to lay it flat to cut but the creases are there to stay. 

I used an already fabricated skirt as the guide, laying it on top of the black vinyl and starting to make my cuts. All the while trying to figure out the real shape of the White House Black Market skirt. The clothing from that store fits sooooo well that there is definitely something different and special there. 

I cut the front and back pieces but decided since I wasn't planning on making a lining that it would need a waist band for support. The waistband was also determined by the length of the zipper. I only had a super large metal zipper in stock because B wanted to make a "Zipper Face" for Halloween with it and scar wax. Instead she went with a Care Bear costume. The front and back pieces were not long enough because there just wasn't enough vinyl in my remnant without making a waistband and since I spent nothing on this project because I used items from other projects, I needed to improvise. 

The vinyl was surprisingly easy to sew with my 1976 Bernina 830 and a fresh sturdy needle. I only had needles that I purchased for denim but I think they are specifically for HEAVY fabrics, though I can't be 100% sure. I'm also proud to say that I didn't break the needle until the very last stitch. Conveniently. The zipper was easy too since the two pieces came apart completely. I do not have a zipper foot so I always struggle while working around the functional piece. I will be sure to pick one up this weekend. I get by without one but I feel like I can't get a good "bite" on the zipper with the standard 00 foot.

After about an hour and several fittings because the curves have to be just right, I found out, when it comes to vinyl. There is no give or forgiveness in this medium. And Voila, a cute black faux leather skirt with side zipper. The perma-creases make it look worn and I like it. I plan to pair it with a soft layered top and 3/4 sleeve loose knit sweater - it's still in the 80's here even though it's officially Fall.
The Created By Tag inside is my favorite part. I received a stack of them from a very special and thoughtful Mother. Thank you B. Ha look my my stitches. They look like a computer geek made them.

No comments: