Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Kwik Sew #3694

Two tops in 2 days. I'm on a roll. This pattern is so versatile that I made a floral short sleeved A-symmetrical top on Sunday as previously posted and wore it to work yesterday with a lovely wine colored knit drawstring skirt, 2 1/2 " brown heels and a soft brown cardigan. It was a comfy professional combo and last night I made the hot pink and navy blue long sleeve (A) top for G. Except I brought the sides in tighter at waist (omitting the A-symmetrical cuts) and chose not to do the binding around the neck because the knit was woven too loosely and it was tricky to work with. Not to mention the hem could be seen through the fabric so I sure you would be able to see through the binding which would've defeated the purpose. 

I had G try it on twice and the second time she said she loved it. I noticed the stripes didn't match up exactly in the seems but that was due to my cutting. Cutting is my least favorite part of sewing and I will cut corners every time. The fabric slid around and rolled up on the edges. It unraveled quickly and snagged on everything because the knitting was so loose. It was heavy too so once the shirt was assembled I noticed it was 2 sizes bigger than the floral shirt but it was from the same x-small lines on the pattern. Here's why http://afewthreadsloose.blogspot.com/2013/11/adventures-in-sewing-part-6.html . One of my favorite blogs found a McCall Style News booklet from May of 1948. I love how it reads with phrases like "dress making families."

Two tops in two days. Two very different outcomes. The more I sew, the more I realize the things I don't know. As with any skill, experience is vital. I'm sure the more practice I get the more notes (mentally) I will take. This way I can walk into a hobby store and truly know which projects are the quick and easy projects vs. ones I should not cut corners on and which fabrics are truly best and not just one of the 17 types mentioned on the pattern that I will have to alter every time because of my petite torso and shoulder area. There is so much to learn and I'm considering taking on a challenge to crunch in some experience. Just 1 to 1.5 hours a day will do I think. I'll keep thinking this through and let you know what I come up with.

No comments: