Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Shoes and Promises

I've noticed that I'm actually thinking about completing my projects just so I have some ammo to blog about it. I am notorious for starting a project and when it gets too complicated or cumbersome, I put it down, for a year or so. I typically go back to it but not without a purpose. Just like that corset I started way back. I didn't have a sewing machine at the time but I loved the teal sateen fabric with an Asian embroidered print on it. I made half (one side) and was so proud that I showed everyone and never even started the other side because I was so satisfied that I could do it that I didn't care to actually wear it. It wasn't until G's pageant last year that I decided to finish it so that she could have a glamorous one of a kind gown. She picked out the fabric and designed the lower portion of the dress with an early 1900's century flair. She was gorgeous and I was happier once the piece was finished. The entire piece was hand stitched.

Blogging has motivated me to finish my shoe project from this past weekend. Although it's not finished yet, it will be within the next couple of days because I'm telling everyone in writing that it will. This blog is my written form of project promises. It would be embarrassing if I dug back through my posts a year from now and realized that none of my great ideas/project were ever finished. 

BALLET FLATS PROJECT 85% COMPLETE:
 Notice the toe on the right flat. I still have to hand stitch it down because I can't figure out how to attach it to the sole with the machine. I obviously can't get the machines foot in there. All the DIY tutes use glue. Once the toe is completed, the last and final 2% of the project will be the red tabs. The red tabs on the left flat are for lacing because the shoes are too big and I'll need to tie them on. I realize now that the fabric will stretch while sewing a little so next time they will need to be smaller and I will have to allow them to stretch on my foot even though I use upholstery (which came from my "I'm going to make purses to sell!" days). I also read an article that suggests putting grosgrain ribbon between the two layers of fabric to avoid any stretch. That's a novel idea for lots of projects. The sole is 4 layers of up-cycled denim and batting.

I'm undecided on whether I should wear them to work once they are completed. It seems a little silly to wear homemade shoes - even for me.

No comments: