Monday, November 4, 2013

Stitch-in-the-ditch If you Dare

This weekend is over and we accomplished a lot in my opinion.

I starting helping G and E (G's best friend) to get ready starting at 2:00 on Saturday afternoon for Homecoming while W went to study. E (my E) watched TV for 3 hours straight while snacking on Halloween candy, piece after piece. I told her to stop but she yelled back, "I can't!" I couldn't stop her either because I had 2 teenagers pulling at me to dress, paint, brush & style all their appendages. I admit, I had a great time but my right arm was too tired to open and close scissors yesterday because of the hot spiral iron and two hours of my life gone trying to perfect every inch of E's hair. Her hair is massive! I thought B had a lot but by comparison I'd say B has the perfect amount. A LOT of fine hair is perfect. Anyway, the girls were stunning until G starting whining when we discovered a stain on her gown. I have no idea how it got there but we washed and blow dried the area twice about 15 min. before we were scheduled to meet up with the boys. The stain was minimized and the sun was going down so I didn't think anyone was going to see it. Once the tears dried up she was beautiful again.

Now I want to share with you what I was trying to cut when my right wrist seized. I found a lovely floral knit remnant on Friday afternoon for a couple of bucks. The only problem was, I didn't bother to check how much fabric there was in the remnant and I assumed it would be enough for a top. Yesterday during E's nap time, I unrolled the remnant to discover that the 58" wide fabric was only about 3/8 of a yard. I trimmed the pattern where I could and made it fit but not on the stretch. Bleh. It's an A-symmetrical top with cap sleeves but it doesn't move with me. I guess I shouldn't ignore words like grain and stretch written all over the pattern. I'm learning and I promise to be more observant when selecting fabric. I am glad that I had the opportunity to stitch-in-the-ditch around the neck when I added binding. It's not an all too tricky procedure but it will take a bit of practice. Remember, shorter stitches on the curves like a car taking a curve (slower).

I bought a second loose knit of navy and hot pink stripes for G on my trip to the fabric store on Friday. She wants a loosely fitted top like a sweater so I plan to use the same pattern as I did for the floral remnant with a little extra on the sides to loosen things up and I'll make sure to implement the stretch in the right direction. I'm not so sure about the binding though. I plan to serge most of the fabric with navy blue thread since it's loosely woven. I may not need to finish the edges depending on G's preference. We'll play it by ear. It won't be a Joanie original if there isn't any impromptu. 

No comments: