Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Waking Up Even Earlier

In 15 min. increments, I've worked my way up to 5:30 AM from 7:00 AM to start my mornings. I know what you're thinking - why not just set the alarm for what ever time you want and get up at that time. I felt that waking up early was more habit forming than an automatic. I really enjoy waking up earlier and earlier. If you've been following my silly blogs since the beginning of August (Thanks Mom!) then you can remember me having an epiphany which was I'm a morning person so why am I not use my mornings more efficiently? Well two months later... I pop right out of bed and sit in the dark writing blogs. I guess this isn't really using my time efficiently - and actually I just wasted a half hour on Etsy.com - but my point is I believe it is now a habit.

I challenge you to find something undesirable and change it into something to look forward to by changing your mind about it and how you do it. For instance - dishes: I didn't understand the concept of washing dishes until 2004 or so. I loathed washing dishes and felt that I could always do them later. That all instantly changed when I went to visit a neighbor, Wendy, whose house was spotless sometime in 2004. I guess it had never occurred to me that poor people could have nice stuff too. I mean everything was undisturbed and a lovely fragrance wafted my way upon entry. She had a beautiful tea light holder on the wall with candles burning that created a simple yet lovely ambiance. She wasn't expecting me and decided to put on a show just for me. She created that space for herself. Later that day I went out to Target and bought an expensive $10 scented candle (that was expensive for me in 2004) and put it in the kitchen on the window sill. I told my self that I could only light that candle if and when I did the dishes because Wendy would do it that way. I stood there at the sink and took my enemy by the horns while that candle's flame danced in front of me. I still remember the sense of satisfaction once the last cup was washed and I sat down to enjoy the fragrance now starting to fill the room. 

Ever since that day, I changed my mind about why I should be doing something and did not focus on how to do it. I should be washing the dishes for me. For my family. How I wash the dishes doesn't matter as long as it gets done. How I wake up in the morning doesn't matter either. All that matters is what's motivating me to make the change.

No comments: