Monday, October 7, 2013

Halloween Decor Garbage

I went looking for my one Tupperware bins full of Halloween stuffs the other day and couldn't find it with Christmas bins. We used to keep all these bins together but somehow they were separated by the move. The 2 covered Christmas bins made it to the hall closet but the topless Halloween bin made it to the shed. 

W pulled the bin out of the shed yesterday and I noticed a lot of new "debris" in it. I wasn't sure what would pop out so I carefully lifted each item out to see what I could salvage. I've decided that's time to retire the vinyl vulture. He has been around for a least 10 years and I am sad to see him go. His rubber wings are falling apart and the beak seam has separated exposing the ugly yellow foam inside. That was a $30 purchase 10 years ago so I'm pretty sure I got my monies worth.

The only thing really worth salvaging in there was the Apothecary sign I painted last year, it seems to be OK. One corner of the sign has been chewed off by some deviant creature but I'll use it this year. There were a couple of ceramic pumpkins and spooky vases that of course were not harmed but my black spray painted newspaper wreath did not make it. The Styrofoam supporting the wreath showed signs of havoc from the same creature as my Apothecary sign. 

I cannot just NOT decorate. I'll have to put a little money aside for new decor this year. Things aren't so bad  though because I threw a bunch of old stuff out last year and I knew I would have to acquire more anyway this year. The problem is not the budget, it's quantity. I don't like cheesy smiling-pumpkin decorations. I prefer Gothic or spooky Victorian stuff and I just can't find that kind of stuff in abundance anywhere. We'll make a couple and use what we've salvaged but this year will be a modest Halloween.

No comments: