Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Message of Grace

I'm not one to preach to anyone on the topic of religion. I do love a good financial or child rearing soap box but faith is not one of my stronger attributes so it does not come out nearly as often or bold. I am very careful as to who my audience is when discussing my beliefs and I always avoid heated discussions on the topic but this morning I feel it is necessary to share the message from a speech I watched last night on the internet. The speech is called "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox.

The real reason I find it necessary to share the message from the Wilcox speech is because I found it to be extremely relieving. I often hear of "The Christian Way" of doing things and living life but this speech was different. There was no hell fire and damnation. There was no live-your-life-entirely-the-way-Christ-would-or-don't-even-bother. I gathered that I do not have to live someone else's religious lifestyle and mimic the way that they worship to be worthy. I can show my gratitude for life by practicing a "Christian" lifestyle, which by the way, is not supposed to be easy.


Over the weekend I was asked what are my spiritual goals? I'd never contemplated this before. It had not occurred to me that faith was no different than any other area of "growth". I can set goals. I do that all the time. I love the feeling of achievement that follows the success of the goal so why didn't I apply this concept  to spiritual growth? I cannot answer that last question but now that I have the understanding then it is my responsibility to act on it. I don't have to be best at going to church every Sunday despite popular belief. I don't have to pray every single morning and every single night to be "Christian". I do however have to set personal goals to achieve proficiency in one thing at a time. 

Grace is designed to allow those who have not diligently practiced to have worth. 
As long as I am accepting of who I am and working towards improvement then that is all He wants from me just as any parent would want for their child.

As of this morning I choose to not stay stagnant in perhaps the most important area of life. I do believe there is a greater purpose to life on Earth then we can begin to understand and that by practicing spiritual growth everyday we can build our religious muscle and learn to speak boldly on the topic when the opportunity arises.

No comments: