Monday, September 23, 2013

One Simplicity Pattern, 3 Yards of Fabric, 2 Completed Articles of Clothing and 1 Weekend


I finally got around to picking a fabric for my pants Saturday after work. I know I said that I wanted linen and that I would dye the fabric a beautiful emerald green but I never made it to JoAnn's or Michaels. These two stores are on the other side of the Interstate and I have no other reason to drive to that side of town but on Saturday I stopped in my local fabric store and found two remnants...

One a lovely grape color knit with silvery fibers that make it glittery. I don't think it was a full yard but I could  not pass it up for $3.50. Then I found a similar color in a loose woven/feed sack/linen looking fabric and the remnant was 1 2/3 yards. Just enough for my pants and the knit for a knee length skirt.

I woke up yesterday around 5:50 am and got started. It really only took me an hour to cut out both pattern pieces and sew the skirt. Knit is just too easy to work with. I decided to go with a 1/2 inch seam allowance because I've made this pattern before and it was a bit loose even for knit and it turned out fabulously!!! I wore it it church later that morning.

I started to serge the linen around 5:00 but stopped in order to take a trip to my moms house and rummage through her embroidery floss in hopes of finding the same color to finish the napkins I started last weekend. I never found the color that I lost last week and I've been carrying the two finished napkins around in my purse so that I could match the color on the napkin to a replacement color at a store but again, I never made it to the craft store. Then I dropped off a pasta and spinach cheesy casserole in heavy cream for my grandma and raced back home to feed my family, my mom, my sister and her husband. It's a lot of fun to have everyone together.

After dinner my mom asked about the pants I said I could probably finish them quickly if she wanted to sit with me by the machines. I sewed the inseam, then the "outseams". Then I sewed the waist band on and tried them on. The fit was pretty good. I would lower the waist band a bit next time since my torso is smaller than  most clothing and patterns are fitted for but the fit will do. Honestly, I wish I had washed the fabric first in case it decides to shrink up but I'll wear them this week and then wash them just so that I get 1 wear out of them.

Anyway, I felt really good to complete the articles. Sewing a 1 hour skirt sounds like a workshop for the studio to me...

No comments: