Friday, September 6, 2013

Making Pants

I'm really struggling with choosing a fabric for my Kwik Sew pants pattern. 
I originally wanted linen so I perused the isle of expensive linen at a local shop yesterday and thought the choices were too drab. My mentality on clothing is that I do not have a large wardrobe so I need to make every article count. Plain just won't do. Especially if I'm planning to dedicate time to constructing the piece. I quickly rationalized spending the same dollar amount on 2 yards of brightly colored woven to make them FUN. The pattern is for easy wide-legged, mid-calved slacks with a drawstring. Light and flow-y with COLOR!  A ream of purple, gray, white and gold in an elegant pattern of repeating octagonal designs caught my eye at first. I touched it an thought it would be great for slacks however, not this time of year...too much white. I wouldn't be able to pair it with a white shirt - a gray shirt maybe - but I don't have a gray shirt. I moved on to the next ream and the next making up every excuse as to why that color or pattern won't work. Looking at the time made my heart sank. I had already used 20 min. of my lunch and had nothing to show for it. With a lowered head I preceded to leave the store.

I tried to describe my dilemma to my mom last night but I couldn't pinpoint the REAL problem with words. The trouble is the way I feel about clothing and that does not translate easily into words. Sewing for me is about using or wearing the creation to reflect my personality. Not about hand-making or perfecting the stitch. I realize now this doesn't have to be true for every project. Plain Jane is perfectly OK in ones wardrobe because it leaves room for accessorizing with jewelry or hair or just taking it easy one day and dropping the idea of making a statement completely - which is also making a statement I might add. 

So linen it is. Linen has a certain elegance to it. It's heavy woven fibers drape with ease. It moves with the body gracefully and can be just as casual as it is dressy. Although, as my mom pointed out, it should be dry-cleaned, I don't care. An iron will do. I'll be stopping by the fabric shop today...again...and picking up a couple of yards. I will also pick up a box of emerald green fabric dye. Well, you didn't think I would completely abandon my love for color did you?

No comments: