Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dry Spell

I realize it has been several weeks since I've posted anything. I'm not regretting this because I think my fans need it (hey Mom) but because blogging is a form of journaling in a narcissistic way. 
Any who, what ever the reason, I've finally found a moment to sit at the table in the dark listening to the pitter patter of the rain creating a dull white noise around me. I'm actually working on a remote session and have been since 4:30 but I'm currently running a query that takes about 15 min. each time so I have the opportunity to put my thoughts in the blog during those increments of waiting time.

I went to bed at 9:30 last night so when E woke up at 4:30 to use the master bath I could not go back to sleep. Either it was because I was worried about stuff or because there was now a tiny human creature sleeping soundly between my husband and I. She fell back asleep really fast. I last heard her singing, "Thursday, Friday, Saturday..., these are the days of the week." Then silence. Then I put on a pot of coffee.

Work has been a nightmare. There is too much work to do. Our small company is now completely dependent on reports, software tools and solutions, and business knowledge from the IT department. There was a time that all the items mentioned above were non-existent and some people found a way to keep business moving by being resourceful. Our software Development task/project list looks like we will stay busy for the next year if everything stays the same but it won't. That list grows everyday. It's overwhelming and it makes the developers look incompetent because regardless of the task everything was due yesterday so we obviously did not meet our deadlines.

On the lighter side of things, Christmas was wonderful at our place. I didn't work a lick and I cooked and cleaned and entertained the whole day. Wow, putting that in words looks like work. It didn't feel that way though. We spent every moment together. Sang songs, played the piano, watched movies, opened gifts, ate lunch/dinner, crafted... it was a very good day.

I very much looking forward to the New Year. I hope to set a few goals and try to reach them. I wanted to pay off student loans in 2013. We paid down half and we bought a house so I'd say that was pretty close. I'm thinking we'll finish them off this year and do something else spectacular. I'm not sure what that is yet but it should be great!

No comments: