Friday, December 6, 2013

Workshop Number One Was a Doozey

One of the ladies from my church asked me to host a workshop at church from 6:30 - 8:30 last night. I brought some craft wire and glass beads a few sets of tools and stack of surveys freshly printed. About 30 people showed up which was what we expected but not what I'd hoped. Teaching 30 people at once without adequate tools was no easy task especially for my FIRST workshop. 

I honestly wanted the craft to only take up 30 minutes but the instruction went for about an hour. The goal was to make easy wire wrapped rings around a glass bead. The last hour was me finishing up the rings. Making them a little bit bigger or smaller. Tightening up the wrapping or cleaning up the shape of the rings in general if they were a little wonky. I also encouraged the ladies to do more than one if they were comfortable be I knew that practice would serve them well and because thankfully I chose to cut the wire the night before (a lot of wire). Some of them made 3 rings and couldn't wait to show me. It was so cute.

Clean up only took a few minutes and I was driving home by 8:40 with my stack of surveys filled out and my heart full of cheer. I had such a wonderful time sharing what I love to do with others. So many women thanked my profusely for teaching them a new skill and getting them all together. I didn't have any part in getting them together but I guess it wouldn't have happened if I had declined the opportunity to teach the class.

Most of the ladies chose the time slot of 6-9 pm as their preferred workshop time on the survey which fits into my cafe model. That is the only time I'll be available. In fact most people chose the $5-$10 price range on my survey for a similar workshop. I'm only revealing my marketing research because I know no one reads this. 

The Cafe will not be a classroom setting. It will be a hang out. The ladies I spoke to last night did not seem to understand the concept based on their comments of price and over all feedback. This makes me secretly happy. The Cafe is a NEW concept to our area! One lady thought the price of the workshop should depend on the size of the bead. My workshop will be the same price no matter what for learning and consulting with others on any/all crafts. You can apply that craft to any project later and use what ever bead you want. Another lady put on the survey. "I had so much fun. ...I would pay for a night of guidance."

The concept is to get out and do the craft with others. 
To gain confidence and learn new techniques. 
To see what others have done wrong to avoid a lot of trial and error. 
To have fun! 
To finish!

Which is what we did.

No comments: