Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Oh Dear, Standing Up to the Boss Isn't Good. Is It?

Yesterday, during our standard 9:00 project meeting, for one project... the one that won't end, my boss calls in and tells us to gear up for Version 2 of the site we've just spent the last 4 straight months on, balls-to-the-wall style. He also mentioned that we cannot loose site of our other clients and pending projects but V2 is important to get started on ASAP because it is a political play. I could feel the disappoint throughout the room among the development team members and so I pipe up as the head of the team to speak my mind. But before I get into what I said I should tell you how lately I've been striped of any "management" functions because it has been clear that I am needed to wear my programmers hat 100% of the day for the last 2 months. With that said I really don't know where I stand since this project has buried us politically and emotionally. The real issue is that when the client said they wanted a website, no one in the development dept. had the opportunity to determine the delivery date. The client SAID they wanted it by 8/1/2013. The Development Team did not get the first draft of requirements until 7/19/2013. No one pushed back for us.

I proceed to tell my boss that we are tired. Back to back projects are not good for moral and we haven't had a chance to breathe lately. The other departments are afraid to speak to us because they don't know when and how their development tasks that fall into the category of internal support will be completed.  They are torn between understanding and resentment. Things are awkward and our team is getting used for political plays now. What we've achieved in the last 4 months is nothing short of a miracle but we have to skip the celebration of completion and jump right in again. 

I am totally paraphrasing what I said because when you impulsively whine to your boss, things get cloudy. He responded with empathy and the meeting ended shortly after that. The Software Development Manager thanked me for speaking up for the group since that was what everyone was thinking. I told him it was no biggie and that if I lose my job that he could have my tiny sweat shop desk in the corner of my (or what used to be) my office that I now share it with  3 other people.

No comments: