Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dress Form Surprise

I received a dress form from W for Christmas. We were unsure of the quality while purchasing online and  only found a few reviews to draw a decision from so we finally settled on a petite sized Artistic Dress Form from Amazon.com. This form was to provide a good range for me and my two teenagers. When it showed up, it was surprisingly light. We set is up and wondered if all the dress forms were this flimsy. It wobbles really bad but I'm sure I can fix that with a little hardware.

The biggest disappointment for me wasn't the quality. It was the measurements. The only instructions that came with the dress form were on one sheet of paper and it consisted of pictures only so when I went to set the dials to build out my measurements, I did it the way I thought it would work. The dials have numbers like a measuring tape, inches on one side and centimeters on the other. I cranked them up to my measurements and tried to slide one of my dresses on and realized it was NEVER going to fit. I measured the form and found that it was nearly 4 inches larger than my measurements. Here's where I do the math: 4 dials = 4 inches. I lowered each one by 1/4 inch at a time and measured until I achieved the same measurements on the form as I did when I measured my self. I did the same for the waist and the hips, slid the dress back on a viola, it fit!

Ultimately, I don't understand the sizing increments but never-the-less it is practically perfect. I'm excited to start pinning a real project on it and stick it in the cafe. It's going to be great!


No comments: